References and Figure Credits
- American Heart Association. 2007. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—Updates, 2007. Retrieved December 5, 2014, from the World Wide Web: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/115/5/e69.full .
- Briss, P.A., Brownson, R.C., Fielding, J.E., and Zaza, S. 2004. Developing and using the Guide to Community Preventive Services: Lessons learned about evidence-based public health. Annual Review of Public Health, 25: 281–302.
- Burke, L.E., Dunbar-Jacob, J.M., and Hill, M.N. 1997. Compliance with cardiovascular disease prevention strategies: A review of the research. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 19: 239–63.
- Center for the Advancement of Health. Washington, D.C. http://www.cfah.org/.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2003. Chronic disease prevention: Chronic disease overview. Retrieved June 17, 2003, from the World Wide Web: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/overview.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2004. Preventing heart disease and stroke: Addressing the nation’s leading killers. Retrieved November 4, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/aag/pdf/2011/heart-disease-and-stroke-aag-2011.pdf*.
- Committee on Health and Behavior: Research, Practice, and Policy, Board on Neuroscience and Behavioral Health, Institute of Medicine. 2001. Health and Behavior: The Interplay of Biological, Behavioral, and Social Influences. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press.
- Feinstein, R.E., and Feinstein, M.S. 2001. Psychotherapy for health and lifestyle change. Journal of Clinical Psychology/In Session, 57: 1263–1275.
- Gotay, C.C. 2005. Behavior and cancer prevention. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23: 301–10.
- Guide to Community Preventive Health Services. 2004. Retrieved November 5, 2004, from the World Wide Web: http://www.thecommunityguide.org/pa/default.htm
- Krantz, D.S., and McCeney, M.K. 2002. Effects of psychological and social factors on organic disease. Annual Review of Psychology, 53: 341–369.
- Kreuter, M.W., and McClure, S.M. 2004. The role of culture in health communication. Annual Review of Public Health, 25: 439–455.
- Labarthe, D., and Ayala, C. 2002. Nondrug interventions in hypertension prevention and control. Cardiology Clinics, 20: 249–63.
- Loucks-Horsley, S., Hewson, P., Love, N., and Stiles, K. 1998. Designing Professional Development for Teachers of Science and Mathematics. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- McGinnis, J.M., and Foege, W.H. 1993. Actual causes of death in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association, 270: 2207–2212.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). 1999. Achievements in public health, 1900–1999: Tobacco use—United States, 1900–1999. MMWR 48(43): 986–993. Available on the World Wide Web at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4843a2.htm
- National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. 2003. Results available at http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth
- National Research Council. 1996. National Science Education Standards. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press.
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. 2000. Description of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. Retrieved November 2, 2004, from the World Wide Web; update available at http://obssr.od.nih.gov/publications/books_and_projects/NRC_Reports.aspx *.
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. 2003. Behavioral and Social Sciences Research in the 21st Century: Summary of Recommendations from Six National Academy of Sciences Reports. Retrieved from the World Wide Web on June 17, 2003: http://obssr.od.nih.gov/Content/Publications/Books_And_Reports/NRC-Reports.htm
- Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. 2004. Information for the public. Retrieved November 3, 2004, from the World Wide Web; now available through http://obssr.od.nih.gov/funding_opportunities/foas/index.aspx#ggc
- Randolph, W., and Viswanath, K. 2004. Lessons learned from public health mass media campaigns: Marketing health in a crowded media world. Annual Review of Public Health, 25: 419–437.
- Resnicow, K., Baranowski, T., Ahluwalia, J.S., and Braithwaite, R.L. 1999. Cultural sensitivity in public health: Defined and demystified. Ethnicity and Disease, 9: 10–21.
- Resnicow, K., Jackson, A., Wang, T., De, A.K., McCarty, F., Dudley, W.N., and Baranowski, T. 2001. A motivational interviewing intervention to increase fruit and vegetable intake through black churches: Results of the Eat for Life Trial. American Journal of Public Health, 91: 1686–1694.
- Schneiderman, N., Antoni, M.H., Saab, P.G., and Ironson, G. 2001. Health psychology: psychosocial and biobehavioral aspects of chronic disease management. Annual Review of Psychology, 52: 555–80.
- Stoney, C.M., and Hughes, J.W. 1999. Parental history of cardiovascular disease and atherogenic lipid reactivity under stress. Psychophysiology, 36: 484–490.
- Webster’s New World Dictionary, Third College Edition. 1988. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Return to Teacher's Guide